Experienced, Dedicated Defense Attorneys
Springfield Manslaughter Lawyer
Defending Clients Facing Manslaughter Charges in Missouri
At Cole & Martin Attorneys at Law, we are dedicated to providing experienced legal representation for individuals facing legal challenges, including cases involving manslaughter. If you're in Missouri and need a trusted manslaughter lawyer, you've come to the right place. Manslaughter charges are serious, and having the proper representation can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
Call Cole & Martin Attorneys at Law today at (417) 213-5441 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our manslaughter attorney in Springfield!
What is Manslaughter?
Manslaughter is a criminal offense in Springfield, Missouri, and throughout the United States. It is distinct from murder and typically involves the unlawful killing of another person without intent. There are two primary types of manslaughter: voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter.
- Voluntary Manslaughter: This occurs when a person intentionally kills another person but does so in the heat of the moment, often due to sudden provocation or an intense emotional state. Voluntary manslaughter is a lesser charge than murder because it acknowledges that the offender did not plan or premeditate the killing.
- Involuntary Manslaughter: Involuntary manslaughter, on the other hand, occurs when someone unintentionally causes the death of another person through reckless behavior, negligence, or criminal negligence. This can include driving under the influence (DUI) or engaging in dangerous activities that result in someone's death.
What are the Penalties for Manslaughter in Missouri?
Manslaughter penalties in Missouri vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case. It's important to note that the consequences for voluntary and involuntary manslaughter can differ significantly. Here is an overview of the potential penalties for each type of manslaughter:
- Voluntary Manslaughter: In Springfield, Missouri, voluntary manslaughter is considered a Class A felony, one of the most severe criminal offenses. Penalties for voluntary manslaughter may include a prison sentence ranging from 10 to 30 years and substantial fines. Our experienced attorneys will work diligently to build a strong defense strategy to help minimize the potential consequences you face.
- Involuntary Manslaughter: Involuntary manslaughter is usually charged as a Class C felony in Missouri. Penalties for this offense can include a prison sentence of up to seven years and fines. Additionally, if the involuntary manslaughter resulted from criminal negligence or recklessness, the penalties may be even more severe.
Defenses Against Manslaughter Charges
When you're charged with manslaughter, you must have a legal defense to protect your rights and minimize the potential consequences. Our skilled attorneys are well-versed in various defense strategies tailored to your case. Some common defenses against manslaughter charges include:
- Self-Defense: If you can demonstrate that you acted in self-defense or defense of others, it may be a valid defense against manslaughter charges. We will investigate the circumstances leading to the incident to establish a strong self-defense argument.
- Lack of Intent: Involuntary manslaughter hinges on the absence of intent. This could be a viable defense if we can show that your actions were not reckless or negligent but accidental.
- Mistaken Identity: If there are doubts about your involvement in the crime, we will work diligently to prove that you were not the perpetrator.
- Suppression of Evidence: In some cases, evidence may have been obtained unlawfully or improperly. We will scrutinize the evidence against you to identify any violations of your constitutional rights and seek to have that evidence suppressed.
- Alibi: If you can establish that you were in a different location at the time of the incident, we will present an alibi as part of your defense.
At Cole & Martin Attorneys at Law, we understand that every case is unique, and we will tailor our defense strategy to the specific circumstances of your situation. We aim to ensure that you receive a fair trial and vigorously advocate on your behalf to achieve the best possible outcome.
Manslaughter charges are among the most severe criminal offenses, and the consequences can be life-altering. If you or a loved one is facing manslaughter charges in Missouri, you need a dedicated and experienced Springfield manslaughter lawyer to protect your rights and provide you with a strong legal defense.
At Cole & Martin Attorneys at Law, we are committed to helping you navigate the legal process, understand your rights, and work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact Cole & Martin Attorneys at Law, LLC today to schedule a consultation with our manslaughter lawyer in Springfield!
Best Decision I've Ever Made!
“I haven’t always been the best at making good decisions. There was a time in my past where I repeatedly made mistakes. Ryan’s expertise of the law helped save my future.”
Shows true concern.
“Ryan has represented me in multiple counties. He is always straight forward, honest, face to face and punctual. Ryan will work for you on a personal level while showing true concern for your situation.”
An attorney that cares!
“He went out of his way to see me and made me feel like it's going to be OK!”
Some of the best in Southwest Missouri
“Very efficient and professional criminal defense team. If you need great attorneys, these guys are some of the best in Southwest Missouri.”
Free Case Consultations Provided
Strategies Customized to Your Case
Former Prosecutor In Your Corner
Backed By Over 40+ Years Of Experience