Experienced, Dedicated Defense Attorneys
Springfield Child Abuse Defense Lawyers
Dedicated to Your Best Outcome
Child abuse is not taken lightly in Missouri. It is often treated as the most serious of abuse accusations because children are, well, children. The complexity of a child abuse charge lies in the people who have a legal obligation to report child abuse, such as nurses, teachers, ministers, dentists and physicians. Even if these workers didn’t want to report abuse, the law requires them to. Family and friends can voluntarily report abuse if they suspect of it. Unfortunately, these obligations and regulations do not allow for unforeseen circumstances. For example, what if your child got hurt on the playground or accidentally touching a hot pan? Maybe a classmate inflicted harm on your child. In these cases, are the established parties still obligated to report suspected child abuse even if they don’t know what caused the injury in the first place?
There are various opportunities for dramatized or false child abuse accusations to take place.
Our compassionate child abuse defense attorneys at Cole & Martin Attorneys at Law, LLC are well-aware of the fear, stress and guilt you may be experiencing as a result of your accusation. Not only is your freedom at stake, but your family, reputation and well-being could face irreversible damage. We want to help. Contact us today (417) 213-5441 at to learn more.
Child Abuse Law Overview
Missouri defines this crime as neglect or abuse inflicted on a person under the age of 18:
- Abuse: Any physical injury, sexual abuse or emotional abuse inflicted on a child other than by accidental means by those responsible for the child’s care, custody and control, except that discipline including spanking, administered in a reasonable manner, shall not be construed to be abuse
- Neglect: Failure to provide, by those responsible for the care, custody and control of the child, the proper or necessary support, education as required by law, nutrition, medical, surgical or any other care necessary for the child’s well-being
Since physical injury is not the only component of child abuse, it’s easy to claim child abuse to a larger extent than what occurred in reality. For example, if your child constantly confronts his teacher about your aggressive temper, the teacher may register this act as verbal abuse. However, your child’s lack of context in their story will leave out key facts that justify your temper; maybe they kept playing soccer in the house and damaging items after repeated warnings to stop; or, perhaps they colored on the walls even when you tell them not to. Without context, it’s easy to make a rash ruling.
If convicted of child abuse, you may be penalized with:
- A Class D felony, without eligibility for probation, parole, or conditional release until you serve at least a one-year sentence
- A Class B felony without eligibility for probation or parole until you serve at least five years in jail, or if you’ve been previously found guilty of abuse or of a law violation that prohibits the conduct of a Class D felony, or if the child sustained a serious emotional or physical injury
- A Class A felony if the child dies as a result of injuries caused by abuse or neglect
It’s Best You Contact Our Child Abuse Defense Attorneys Now
Simply put, the law will exhaust every resource to put you behind bars as soon as you are charged with child abuse or neglect. If you don’t act fast and contact our diligent team to put our experience to work for you, then prosecutors will have more time to work against you. Our 40+ years of combined legal experience ignites our confidence in devoting the strategy, preparation and aggression your case requires.
Trust our team to take care of your case. Call us at (417) 213-5441 for your free case review so we can fight for a victory on your behalf.
Our TestimonialsWhat Do Our Clients Have To Say?
Best Decision I've Ever Made!
“I haven’t always been the best at making good decisions. There was a time in my past where I repeatedly made mistakes. Ryan’s expertise of the law helped save my future.”
Shows true concern.
“Ryan has represented me in multiple counties. He is always straight forward, honest, face to face and punctual. Ryan will work for you on a personal level while showing true concern for your situation.”
An attorney that cares!
“He went out of his way to see me and made me feel like it's going to be OK!”
Some of the best in Southwest Missouri
“Very efficient and professional criminal defense team. If you need great attorneys, these guys are some of the best in Southwest Missouri.”
What Sets Our Firm Apart
Free Case Consultations Provided
Strategies Customized to Your Case
Former Prosecutor In Your Corner
Backed By Over 40+ Years Of Experience