Experienced, Dedicated Defense Attorneys
Springfield Domestic Violence Attorneys
Representing Your Case With Resilience
Have you been accused of domestic violence in Springfield? The state of Missouri criminalizes this offense to a serious degree, which can be scary to face alone. Our experienced Springfield domestic violence attorneys have comprehensive experience on both sides of the courtroom, allowing us to leverage our valuable insider knowledge to serve your case with the highest caliber.
Facing domestic violence charges? Turn to our Springfield domestic violence lawyer to defend you by calling us today!
Missouri Domestic Violence Laws
The acts of domestic violence are often treated differently and prosecuted more severely than an ordinary assault case. Depending on the circumstances, you may be penalized with a misdemeanor or a felony sentence.
Domestic violence is assault committed on victims, including a:
- Current or former spouse
- Family member by blood or marriage
- Person with whom the offender lives or previously lived
- Person with whom the offender has or had a dating or romantic relationship
- Person with whom the offender has a child
Domestic assault is categorized into four degrees:
- First degree: Penalized as a Class B felony unless the victim is subjected to serious physical injury, in which case it is a Class A felony.
- Second degree: The offense of knowingly or recklessly causing physical injury to a victim with a deadly instrument or weapon or by choking or strangulation. This a Class D felony.
- Third degree: The attempt to cause physical injury or knowingly causing physical pain or illness to a domestic victim. This qualifies as a Class E felony.
- Fourth degree: This is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offender has been convicted of the crime two or more times, in which case it is a Class E felony. Domestic assault in the fourth degree can involve any of the following elements:
- Attempting to cause, or recklessly causing, physical injury, physical pain or illness to a domestic victim
- Causing physical injury to a domestic victim by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument with criminal negligence
- Purposely placing a domestic victim in apprehension of immediate physical injury by any means
- Recklessly engaging in conduct that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to a domestic victim
- Knowingly causing physical contact with a domestic victim that will be regarded as offensive
- Knowingly attempting to cause, or causing, the isolation of a domestic victim by unreasonably and substantially restricting or limiting his or her access to other persons, telecommunication devices or transportation for the purpose of isolation
Is Domestic Violence 3rd Degree a Felony?
In Missouri, third degree domestic assault is charged as a class A misdemeanor which is punishable by a $1,000 fine and up to one year in jail. However, if you have had two or more prior offenses for domestic assault in the third degree it can be charged as a class D felony.
Class D felony domestic assault is punishable by:
- A $5,000 fine
- Up to one year in jail or four years in prison
Accused? Seek Defense From Our Springfield Domestic Violence Attorneys.
Considering the countless pieces that contribute to Missouri’s misdemeanor and felony classifications, it’s easy for prosecutors to spin your domestic assault accusations into something more severe than what actually happened. Whether you intended to commit domestic violence or not, prosecutors will find and take every opportunity to portray you as a criminal who should serve a hefty sentence.
At Cole & Martin Attorneys at Law, LLC, we believe our clients are innocent until proven guilty. With key former prosecutorial experience, our Springfield domestic violence attorney knows what it takes to build a powerful case. Everybody makes mistakes, and our team believes that you shouldn’t pay the price in jail.
Best Decision I've Ever Made!
“I haven’t always been the best at making good decisions. There was a time in my past where I repeatedly made mistakes. Ryan’s expertise of the law helped save my future.”
Shows true concern.
“Ryan has represented me in multiple counties. He is always straight forward, honest, face to face and punctual. Ryan will work for you on a personal level while showing true concern for your situation.”
An attorney that cares!
“He went out of his way to see me and made me feel like it's going to be OK!”
Some of the best in Southwest Missouri
“Very efficient and professional criminal defense team. If you need great attorneys, these guys are some of the best in Southwest Missouri.”
Free Case Consultations Provided
Strategies Customized to Your Case
Former Prosecutor In Your Corner
Backed By Over 40+ Years Of Experience